College Timelines and Checklists
Students should begin preparation for college as early as freshman year!
- Take as many honors courses as possible- start off on the right foot!
- Earn A's so that you can take honors and Advanced Placement courses next year.
- Visit CSU Mentor and begin your student planner at www.csumentor.edu. This provides information on the admissions requirements (courses you need to take and grades).
- Participate in extracurricular activities that you will continue in throughout high school. Join activities that you will enjoy and be passionate about.
- Begin researching careers and colleges that you are interested in.
The Federal Student Aid (Department of Education) website provides a checklist for the freshman year: http://studentaid.ed.gov/prepare-for-college/checklists/9th-grade. Additional checklists can be viewed below for each year courtesy of Cappex and College Prep 101.
10th Grade College Checklist
- Take honors and advanced placement courses.
- Grades this year is very important for colleges so do well!
- Continue participating in extracurricular activities- clubs, sports, band/choir/musicals, etc.
- Continue researching about careers and colleges (already begin visiting colleges)
Considered the most important year for college preparation!
- Contact the College Advisor to set up a Family College Planning Meeting.
- Need to get the best grades possible! The grades from this year will be the last ones included in college applications so do well!
- Continue taking honors and advanced placement courses- push yourself!
- Sign-up for the SAT Preparation Course.
- Take the SAT in May and/or June.
- Visit colleges.
- Consider getting an internship or shadowing a professional in the career field you are interested in.
- Make a resume (see the counseling office for templates and guides).
- Know which colleges you will be applying to next year.
The Federal Student Aid (Department of Education) website provides a checklist for the junior year: http://studentaid.ed.gov/prepare-for-college/checklists/11th-grade. Additional checklists can be viewed below for each year courtesy of Cappex and College Prep 101.
Time to apply!!
- Finalize your list of colleges you are applying to
- Visit remaining colleges on your list
- Decide if Early Decision or Early Action is right for you: http://professionals.collegeboard.com/guidance/applications/early
- Apply to your colleges!
- UC Applications: http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/how-to-apply/apply-online/index.html
- CSU Applications: https://secure.csumentor.edu/
- Numerous private universities: https://www.commonapp.org/
- Fill out your FAFSA!! Applications open January 1st and priority deadline is March 2nd: https://fafsa.ed.gov/
- Submit your Intent to Register by May 1st!
The Federal Student Aid (Department of Education) website provides a checklist for the senior year: http://studentaid.ed.gov/prepare-for-college/checklists/12th-grade. Additional checklists can be viewed below for each year courtesy of Cappex and College Prep 101.
Additional Timelines and Checklists below...